Wednesday, April 6, 2011

National Cartoonist Society Profile: Alfred Andriola


I was born in New York City and grew up in Rutherford, New Jersey. All through school at Cooper Union and Columbia , I wanted to be a writer, but I got hooked on comic strips as Milton Caniff's assistant. My first strip was "Charlie Chan" from 1938 - 42. I started "Kerry Drake" in 1943 for Publishers-Hall Syndicate. Co-authored "Ever Since Adam and Eve" in 1955, edited "The Cartoonist!" and "The Newsletter" for the National Cartoonist Society and served on several boards of governors and committees. Received National Cartoonist Society Silver T-Square Award in 1970 and the Reuben Award in 1971. Chairman of the Newspaper Comics Council and Chairman of Diamond Jubilee Committee of Comics. My interests are theater, food, writing and far-away places. I live in New York, where I enjoy my bachelor status. If I could do it over again, I'd want to be a writer, and I'd be damn glad if it turned out that I became a cartoonist!

No comments: