Thursday, January 13, 2011

National Cartoonist Society Profile: Roy Crane


Born Abilene, Texas, 1901. Reared Sweetwater, Texas. When the bottom of my swimming lake blew away in a cloud of dust, I caught freight, went to sea, later became H.T. Webster's assistant on New York World. Other turning points: Given job doing Wash Tubbs-Captain Easy with NEA because, luckily I had taken art editor C.N. Landon's correspondence course. Days of joke comics, but I couldn't think up jokes. Dreamed of adventures in far away places; thus became early pioneer in both story and adventure strips (1924) . Switched to Buz Sawyer for King Features in 1943. Schooling: Chicago Academy Fine Arts, Hardin Simmons University, Texas University. Honors included the National Cartoonist Society Reuben, 1950, Banshee's Silver Lady, Navy Distinguished Publication Service Award. Have Wife (Ebba) two daughters, two grandsons, two orange groves, three assistants and ulcers. If I had to do it over, I'd never do a Sunday. It's the straw that breaks backs.

No comments: